Saturday, November 17, 2007

EPIPHANY: GEORGE SEFERIS

DENIAL

On the secret seashore
white like a pigeon
we thirsted at noon;
but the water was brackish.

On the golden sun
we wrote her name
but the sea breeze blew
and the writing vanished.

With what spirit, what heart,
what desire and passion
we lived our life; a mistake!
So we changed our life.

I’ VE KEPT A HOLD ON MY LIFE

I’ ve a hold of my life, kept a hold on my life, traveling
among yellow trees in driving rain
on silent slopes loaded with beech leaves
no fire on their peaks; it’s getting dark.

FLOWERS OF THE ROCK

Flowers of the rocks facing the green sea
with veins that reminded me of other loves
glowing in the slow fine rain,
flowers on the rock, figures
that came when no one spoke and spoke to me
that let me touch them the silence
among pine trees, oleanders and plane trees.

IN THE SEA CAVES

In the sea caves
there’ s a thirst there’ s a love
there’ s an ecstasy
all hard like shells
you can hold them in your palm.

In the sea caves
for whole days I gazed into your eyes
and I didn’t know you nor you know me.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 17 November, 2007 , Blogger Unknown said...

Πολύ ωραίο το "Άρνηση".

 
At 17 November, 2007 , Blogger MenieK said...

εμένα βασικά ο Σεφέρης δε μου αρέσει ιδιαίτερα ούτε στα ελληνικά πολλώ δε μάλλον και στα αγγλικά που χάνεται και ο ρυθμός και η μουσικότητα του στίχου

 
At 17 November, 2007 , Blogger ΤΑΣΟΣ said...

- Γράφηκαν λόγω της ημέρας.
- Εγιναν τραγούδια με συνθέσεις του Μ. Θεοδωράκη.
- Γράφηκαν στα αγγλικά γιά μεγαλύτερη προβολή.

"Επιφάνεια: ήθελα να τα περάσω σε όσο το δυνατό πιό πλατύ κοινό με λαικό μουσικό ένδυμα, να γίνει απλό λαικό τραγούδι, να συντροφεύει δηλ. τον κοσμάκη παντού, στο γιαπί, στην ταβέρνα, στην εκδρομή στην παρέα..."

M. Θεοδωράκης

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home